Monday, December 19, 2011

Artist,Ralph Verano

I was born in a small town in south central New York State. I’ve been drawing since I was very young. At first I did it because it was a way for me to feel a sense of accomplishment and recognition. After studying art in high school and college, I realized I didn’t want to pursue art in any traditional sense. I think I was turned off by the idea that a “successful artist” usually meant having to pursue a specific direction. While I can appreciate that concept, the thing that keeps me interested in art is the idea of discovery. If I’m not challenging myself, I’m pretty sure I would get bored and stop doing it altogether. I’m not really interested in conveying any kind of message in my work. I think if I can come up with an image that I find somewhat compelling, maybe someone else might see some value in it as well. Truthfully, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be showing my art publicly if my wife Tracy Burke hadn't coaxed me into it. We both are slightly uncomfortable with the social aspect of art shows so it makes it a little easier having someone to share that anxiety with.


Artist: Ralph Verano



No comments:

Post a Comment