Saturday, December 17, 2011

Artist, Vaughn Belak

Artist, miscreant, long time stumbling bar fixture and reformed musical deviant of questionable talent…but please, don’t hold that last bit against me. Most of the time I can be found creeping around in the darker corners on the road less tumbled looking for tainted treasures and a glimpse of sights unseen.
I like the dank, musty smell of the run down and dirty. Haunting the street carnivals, trailer parks, dilapidated graveyards, that house on the hill all the kids shy from…The hole in the wall carries a strong appeal for me and I like the way it feels standing in a puddle of stale beer watching from the corner side while the curb critters crawl. Strange comfort there in the smoky dark I guess.
I started out on this crooked, badly lit path in a common enough manner. Drawing skulls and such to sport up the leathers of my misguided, criminal cohorts before the winter caught up with us. Band flyers, logos, the odd skate deck falling victim side by side with back alley walls and even a bit of skin if a home-made tattoo machine was found in the company of enough spare time.
Devils, zombies, ghosts, shrunken heads, tattoo flash inspired “low brow”…even the classic monsters get treated to a revamping now and again. All these years and I’m really just getting started out…I’m influenced by artists like Glenn Barr, Alan Forbes, Brandt Peters, Stainboy, Bethany Marchman…all of them inspire me to branch out and push myself that much more.

Artist: Vaughn Belak


Vaughn Belak:
Zombie Elvis 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment